Saturday, June 16, 2007

When you drink too much Coke and stay up late.

Serves me right for drinking coke for dinner this evening. I'm still wide awake at 1.30 AM!! LOL
During the Bloggers get together last Saturday, one of the subjects that came up was about accents. As you know, I'm from New Zealand and my accent is quite strong.

I can remember meeting a girl in my high school who was from Belgium, and had arrived in New Zealand at age 10, not speaking a word of English. 5 Years later in high school she sounded exactly like me, and noone would have though she was not born in NZ.

Melanie mentioned that if you move to an area with a different accent before the age 12, you can lose the old accent rather easily. But if you are still speaking with a particular accent by the time you get to high school - then you are "doomed" to have that accent for the rest of your life. (my emphasis - Melanie did not actually say the word doomed)

Anyway, my point is, I found a nice quiz that sort of tells you what type of accent you have. It's obviously american biased, but still, I'm sure I do NOT sound like someone from New York City. Most people think I'm British actually.


What American accent do you have? (Best version so far)

Northeastern

Most people don't know it but this is actually what dictionaries are based on. If you don't believe me, pick up any American dictionary and look up "source" and "sauce" and you'll see they are written with the same vowel pronunciation.

Personality Test Results

Click Here to Take This Quiz
Brought to you by YouThink.com quizzes and personality tests.

No comments: