Tuesday, August 28, 2007

What Are you Reading Meme

What Are You Reading Meme
This particular book meme is floating around out there, and so I thought I would give it a try.
I pulled this off Literary Feline's blog.

What are you reading right now?
The Historian to try and finish the New Notions Challenge by Sept 31.

Do you have any idea what you’ll read when you’re done with that?
Possibly one more travel book to complete the Armchair Travellers challenge and another book (the last) for New Notions. Right now I am 2 books short.

What magazines do you have in your bathroom right now?
Dont have any in the little boys room. I seldom read magazines. I might buy the occasional National Geographic or Todays Parents (canadian parents magazine) and some genealogy mags when I can afford them.

What’s the worst thing you were ever forced to read?
The Bible I think.

Admit it, the librarians at your library know you on a first name basis, don’t they?
Yes, but whenever I go in, the first question is usually "Hows your son?" or "Where is your son?".

What’s the one book you always recommend to just about everyone?
It depends on what the person likes. And I usually only recommend something if I am asked.

Do you read books while you eat? While you bathe? While you watch movies or TV? While you listen to music? While you’re on the computer? While you’re having sex? While you’re driving?
Eat - yes if I can do it without making a mess
Bathe - No I prefer to shower (I used to read in the bath when I was living at home, but that was over 25 years ago).
Movies & TV - actually when I watch movies on DVD, I usually read the subtitles.
TV - NOPE but then I seldom watch TV anyway
Music - seldom listen to music - would actually prefer to read.
Sex & Driving - Nope - too busy

When you were little, did other children tease you about your reading habits?
Nope I was a loner. I spent every lunch hour at school at the library reading.

What’s the last thing you stayed up half the night reading because it was so good you couldn’t put it down?
As I mentioned in my blog last week, The Sugar Camp Quilt, and have read several others in the series since then.

Extra Credit Question

When growing up did your family share your love of books? If so, did one person get you into reading? And, do you have any family-oriented memories with books and reading? (Family trips to bookstore, reading the same book as a sibling or parent, etc.)

My father is a bookaholic, and he taught me to read when I was 4. When I was growing up, he and I had great conversations chatting about books, politics, world & local events. We still do, although now it's done by email.

My mother seldom read anything outside of her Bible and her Devotional book. But lately she has started reading other books. Her last email said that she had just finished the first book in the Elm Creek Quilts series.

Now as a parent myself, my parents have sent me a number of my old books I owned when I was a child. Books like - Snow (an early Dr Suess type book) Ping, How John the mouse learned to read, and my 4 volume collection of Disney books. My son is not terribly interested in them though.

Not a lot of memories other than knowing I ALWAYS had a book with me no matter where I was going. Still do.

2 comments:

BookGal said...

It's good to know that I'm not the only one whose child is better known at the library than I am!

Anonymous said...

I almost always have the subtitles on when watching anything on TV! Sometimes the spelling alone is hilarious. But OTOH, I sure couldn't do that job.