Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Fine Books Magazine and the Canadian Postal Service

The November issue of Fine Books and Collections Magazine finally arrived at my home in Canada today - 23 days after it arrived at the Book Hunters home in California. That took just over 3 weeks!!! This is not the first time this magazine has been so late, but surely it cannot take 3 weeks just to cross the border? It's only a magazine, it's in a clear sealed plastic bag so anyone can see what it's about, and it is not supporting anything that is against "National Security". The delay might be caused by Canadian Postal Service - but I have my doubts on that.

Anyway, I am reading through to see what goodies are inside. Let's see.

The FIRST Western Style Book Fair to be held in China (Hong Kong) from November 30 to December 2nd. (pg 21)

And then there is the cover story. The Archimedes Codex or Palimpset. I first read about this palimpset a number of years ago, when I came across a NOVA website about this codex. I never saw the actual program, (which aired on PBS in 2003) but the website was very intriguing.

This article in Fine Books is an excerpt from a new book about the scientists who have been studying the codex (manuscript) for the past few years (since 1998). Now the story of the discovery has just been published. I LOVE reading about ancient manuscripts. This is one story I have been waiting for, and I cannot wait to get this book.

No comments: