Monday, November 5, 2007

Remember Remember

Remember, remember the fifth of November;
Gunpowder, treason and plot.
I see no reason why gunpowder treason
Should ever be forgot.

History

I just remembered that today (Nov 5th in North America & UK at least - but it was yesterday in Australia and New Zealand) it is Guy Fawkes Day. I grew up in NZ with no Halloween at all. It just never caught on as a tradition. Instead we went out on Guy Fawkes Night to light Bonfires, and set off fireworks. In Ottery St Mary (a town in Devon, UK) where my ancestors came from, they have a tradition of racing while carrying flaming barrels covered in tar.

I have also just discovered a new Musical about Guy Fawkes Day.

Also I have learned that November 5th used to be celebrated in Boston, Massachusetts, but it was called Pope Night. By the mid 1800's this tradition had died out. Thanks to Philiobiblos for mentioning this.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Guy Fawkes Day! Cool.

A musical? [goggles].

Hope you're all better! But probably not quite yet.

John Mutford said...

We had it in Newfoundland as well. We knew the Guy Fawkes history but we simply referred to it as Bonfire Night.