Thursday, January 10, 2008

Banker to the Poor by Muhammed Yunas - Book Review

Banker to the Poor
By Muhammed Yunas
Public Affairs Press (Perseus Books) 1999, 2003, 2006

Grameen Bank
Monica Yunus Soprano Opera Singer
Nobel Peace Prize 2006
National Geographic
Excerpt - Chapter 4
More on the Nobel Prize
Article


The founder of the Grameen Bank relates how he developed the system of micro-credit to help eradicate poverty in countries such as Bangladesh by providing financial education and small loans to rural families.

Muhammed Yunus and the Bank were awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 2006.

I am still reading this book. And am enjoying it very much. But I wanted to tell you all about it, because I think it's very good. I am reading this for the Books around the World Challenge. I will review it later once I have finished reading it. Hopefully tomorrow.

If any of you have heard of an Opera Singer named Monica Yunus, she is Muhammed Yunus's daughter. She lives in New York City.

1 comment:

Bonnie Jacobs said...

I had heard of Yunus when he got the Nobel Prize, but the book is new to me. Thanks for mentioning it. I look forward to your review.