Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Anne of Green Gables - REMAKE

For those of us who remember the epic and iconic 1980's miniseries about Anne Shirley starring Megan Follows, Jonathan Crombie and Colleen Dewhurst, well you need not wait any more. It's been 27 years since that first miniseries was aired on TV, and it has been decided that it is time for a REMAKE to be made.

I still remember that miniseries. Gosh am I really that old?
In 1985 I would have been 21 years old. So 21 plus 27 is 48.
Yep I am really that old already. *sigh*.

This photo is the first time we all remember seeing Megan Follows as Anne of Green Gables in 1985.


This next photo is Anne Shirley in a movie made in 2008 - based on the Book - Before Green Gables - published in 2008 to celebrate the centenary of the original book - Anne of Green Gables. This young actress's name is Hannah Endicott-Douglas



Anne of Green Gables will be remade as a 13 part TV series by Breakthrough Entertainment. They have been hired by the heirs of L M Montgomery. The series is slated to be made in the summer of 2013.

I wonder who the next Anne of Green Gables will be?

Below are some posts I wrote on this blog back in 2008 about the books and the centenary.

Before Green Gables Book Review


Anne of Green Gables - A New Beginning - the 2008 movie based on Before Green Gables


Anne of Green Gables celebrates its Centenary in 2008


4 of the AOGG books I read and reviewed in 2008



4 comments:

Susan said...

I loved that Megan Fellows version so much! It was the best one, as far as I'm concerned. I wish they'd show that version on tv again.

You are one year younger than me!

Anonymous said...

I don't see a need for a remake as the original version was perfect. You cannot replace Megan Followes or the actor playing Gilbert. Their chemistry cannt be duplicated.

Unknown said...

Oh, really? That's just great! Even if I like the two first films starring Megan Follows (not a fan of the last one) very much, I think it is a pity that they, and especially the second one, often are so far from the original story..
By the way, I have a question - I am a huge fan of the story of Anne. Sadly, the Norwegian translated versions are very abridged. I do own an edition of Anne of Green Gables that is not shortened, shall I believe the foreword, but the rest of the series is very amputated. I wondered if you could tell me - if I buy the English editions, do I get the story with its original content? Do you know? I would really appreciate an answer.
(And, by the way, if my English is bad, I do apologize! I hope it is readable)

Francesca Thomas said...

As far as I can tell, any English book from the Anne of Green Gables series would be written for adults and therefore be whole and complete in its entirety.

The movies and miniseries cannot always afford to show every little event written about in the books.

The only reason any book might would be shortened or edited, is if it was a childrens edition.